links for 2010-06-05

June 5, 2010 by bgaskins · 1 Comment · Miscellaneous

• (tags: blogs spencer)
  • Moore Learning, Less schooliness
  • "Franki is the author of Beyond Leveled Books (Stenhouse), Still Learning to Read (Stenhouse), and Day-to-Day Assessment in the Reading Workshop (Scholastic). She is also a regular contributor to Choice Literacy.
    "
  • Bud Hunt is an instructional technologist for the St. Vrain Valley School District in northern Colorado. Formerly, he taught high school language arts and journalism at Olde Columbine High School in Longmont, Colorado. He is a teacher-consultant with the Colorado State University Writing Project, an affiliate of the National Writing Project, a group working to improve the teaching of writing in schools via regular and meaningful professional development. Bud is a former co-editor of the New Voices column of English Journal, a publication of the National Council of Teachers of English. Bud is a co-founder of Learning 2.0: A Colorado Conversation and has served as an Online Community Leader for the New Jersey Cohort of Powerful Learning Practice, a long-term, job-embedded professional development program that immerses participants in 21st Century learning environments.
  • "An elementary school librarian since 2005, Travis Jonker started 100 Scope Notes in the golden days of 2007. In addition to posting children’s literature reviews here, he periodically straightens his tie and reviews for School Library Journal, and has also been a judge for the Cybils Awards."
  • I’m a librarian at a large public suburban high school, in Austin, Texas. This is a forum for discussing web 2.0 tools, teaching strategies, and library research tools for educators. I’m interested in how web 2.0 tools can transform schools and libraries.

I also host our school library site on edublogs.

• Library Garden has been conceived as an ongoing conversation among librarians with differing perspectives (public, academic, consortial, state, youth, LIS) but one shared goal: ensuring the health and relevance of libraries.

Library Garden is maintained by a team of contributing editors. We will each contribute to the blog, offering our individual perspectives on issues that affect or relate to libraries of all types. But we will also get together for regular topical conversations — conversations with each other, with others, with you — and post those conversations, and/or the posts they inspire, to the blog.

• Read a new review every day, Monday through Friday! The staff of the Williamsburg Regional Library in Virginia bring you short reviews of books, movies, and more!

Launched in April of 2007, Blogging for a Good Book is the newest facet of the Looking for a Good Book readers’ service. A different staff member picks favorite reviews for each different week. Subscribe to our RSS feed to find good reviews, or click on the categories on the righthand side to see everything in your favorite area.

• Andy is a librarian for the Burlington County Library System in New Jersey. He spends his days surrounded by vast amounts of information which he consumes on a fairly regular basis. And he loves games of all sorts almost as much as he loves his wife.
  • "I worked in a public library. I saw literally thousands of books every week
  • As John Muir wrote “When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe.” The inspirational quote has long guided me in life knowing that my actions – or lack of action – has a profound effect on the world. My other passion is librarianship –freedom and access to all information, ideas, and resources for people everywhere. My goal is to connect these two important aspects of my life and myself as a human being living (temporarily) on this Earth. This blog lists ideas, practices, tools, and techniques to help green libraries, librarians, and the communities they serve – possibly saving money or even raising money too. So here’s to a greener library and a sustainable future for all.
  • "Promoting the appreciation, enjoyment, and preservation of our library heritage"
  • Welcome to Awfullibrarybooks.wordpress.com! Librarians, bibliophiles and lovers of nostalgia are all welcome here.

This site is a collection of public library holdings that we find amusing and maybe questionable for public libraries trying to maintain a current and relevant collection. Contained in this site are actual library holdings. No libraries are specifically mentioned to protect our submitters who might disagree with a particular collection policy. (A good librarian would probably be able to track down the holding libraries without too much trouble anyway…)

Your “awful” librarians for this site are Mary and Holly. We are public librarians in a medium sized public library in Michigan and the opinions expressed are totally our own. We do tend to articulate our particular library’s collection objectives when making comments.

• "Hi. My name is Jessamyn West and I'll be your librarian today. I work in rural Vermont as a library consultant and also am a moderator at MetaFilter.com. My personal blog is at jessamyn.com. Feel free to contact me if you have questions or comments."
  • "Tracking innovation, development and experimentation in information studies and library science and spotting new technologies, trends and much more."
  • his blog is a group effort to share information about the all literacies (digital literacy, media literacy, information literacy, visual literacy, 21st century literacies, transliteracies and more) with special focus on all libraries.

This topic is important to all types of libraries so we have authors from public, university, college and school libraries for a broad perspective.

• "Blogs about libraries have spread across the web. There are (literally) hundreds of people writing about books, libraries, librarians and related subjects. If you count the blogs that come from specific institutions, spreading local news, there are thousands of the things. Some are funny. Some are brilliant. Others… aren't.

This area of our website is devoted to blogosphere excellence. Salem (and the bloggers and librarians who are helping with this effort) are attempting to promote good blogs generally and draw attention to interesting and provocative news and opinion as it appears. To that end we will:

Reward and celebrate blogs about libraries and library issues

• "Okay, so after a year of working in my current position–and high school being a new animal for me, I decided to go with the flow –the status quo for library rules and expectations. I observed many things I did not necessarily like, but my principal wanted me and my colibrarian, both new to high school, to be more of an observer before we made any significant changes. "
  • "National and global events all happened somewhere, and historical markers mark the place where

Frontiersman, Soldier,
    Writer, Astronaut
    many occurred. But the richness of history is in its local details, details that can be insignificant on the global stage: the home of an individual who made a difference

• "Springpad is a FREE application that lets you quickly and easily save the ideas and information you come across everyday."
  • "Since the start of 2010, Facebook no longer allows you to use an Iframe in the Static FBML app. This change makes embedding many elements into the Fan Page much more difficult. Here is a way to embed the Google Form with out using an <iframe> tag.

Google Forms are useful because you can embed the form and when a user fills the form out the data is automatically put into a spreadsheet in Google Docs. This saves tons of time having to copy and paste data. If you have not tried out Google Forms you should. When you create a Google Docs Spreadsheet there is a form option in the menu of the spreadsheet, give it a try. So below you will find the step by step guide to embedding the Google form in Facebook."

• (tags: facebook list)
  • "Do funky things with your digital photos.
    Fun, simple, quick. "
  • "Currently I am writing the curriculum for technology course for 6th and 7th graders. As I evaluate Web 2.0 applications to use I must walk a thin line between achieving educational objectives using Web 2.0 tools and ensuring student safety. This is a dilemma anyone involved in educational technology must deal with constantly. The questions asked not only include what applications to use but should students be allowed to use personal computers on school networks? What access should students have? How do we keep students from accessing inappropriate websites? Should students be allowed to have email accounts? The list is endless."
  • "Free tools, reading lists, web links and other resources to help bring differentiated instruction to your school."
  • BP Station Sign is Beyond Irony
    (tags: bp sign signs)
  • Jottit makes getting a website as easy as filling out a textbox. For a quick look at what Jottit can do, check out this great screencast tour of Jottit by Demo Girl.
    (tags: web2.0 tools)
  • "While no one was looking, someone revolutionized the textbook, higher education, and learning itself in one crazy, bold move.

Yes, it’s a digital textbook. Yes, it’s a whole new ecosystem. Two spacious panels. Touch-screen interaction. A fully-stocked store. Video. Note-taking. Sharing and community.

Kno is everything a textbook was"

• "We went through the whole lot of free apps available for iPad (so you don’t have to) and selected the best 46 apps that are worth checking out. So have a look and please comment if you know any more that we miss in the list. "
    (tags: ipad iPad_apps)
  • "Yesterday was one of those days. An Iowa school district asked me to come talk to its high school students about the laptops they’ll be getting next year for its 1:1 initiative. Although my work primarily is with adults, I was fairly nonplussed at the time of the invite. After all, I taught 8th grade history to students from housing projects and have had several recent occasions to work with high school students. What was there to worry about?"
    (tags: blogs)
  • "NEW YORK-Doll enthusiasts across the country will have the world of Madame Alexander dolls at their fingertips as Alexander Doll Company, Inc. launches its new e-commerce Web site this month. The new portal allows Madame Alexander fans to easily purchase dolls from current collections of collectible, play and baby dolls directly from one central, convenient location. In addition, visitors will get an in-depth look into the history and unique features of the 87-year-old company"
    (tags: alexander)
  • "EduComics is an European Union Comenius education project under the Life Long Learning Programme (ref num 142424-2008-GR-COMENIUS-CMP). It will show educators how online comics can be used in the classroom to enhance learning, engage and motivate students, and use technology in a practical and effective way. The project will create training material for teachers and organise seminars for teachers in Greece, Cyprus, UK, Italy and Spain. These attending teachers will be able to apply strategies and lesson plans in their schools."

One Comment so far ↓