Lisa Nielsen, best known as creator of The Innovative Educator blog, posed five questions that every parent and teacher must be able to answer. The five questions are worth repeating as school leaders, policy makers, and politicians are re-thinking NCLB and her future.
- What are your child’s passions, talents, and interests?
- Is your child’s talent/passion portfolio documented and used to drive learning?
- Does your child have a personal success plan aligned to those passions with measurable goals?
- How are you supporting your child in displaying evidence of learning in meaningful ways that will lead to academic, career and life success?
- Is your child provided with opportunities to learn with those who share his passions and interests rather than just grouped with others by date of manufacture? from 5 Questions Every Parent and Teacher Must Be Able to Answer
Educational decisions are not always decided by what is best for kids, but what is best for the policy makers and politicians whose knowledge is based on a school system from the previous century. If every teacher, parent, policy maker, and politician would re-focus their thinking out of these questions, our country once again will move to a new level of world leaders.
It is time to “re-think” and “re-focus.”