links for 2010-01-12

• Story Nory is a collection of FREE audio books for kids. There is a mixture of new stories, fairy tales, and specially adapted myths and histories. A new audio story comes out each week (this has been true since November of 2005!). Search stories by newest additions, original stories, fairy tales, classic authors, educational, or junior stories. The stories can be subscribed to as a podcast in iTunes, through their iPhone/iPod touch app, via email, or RSS feed. Story Nory offers the text to accompany the audio so that kids can read along.
    (tags: blogs)
  • Carrot Sticks is another fun place for your students to practice math facts. Carrot Sticks is a fantastic place where your students can practice their math facts (addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division) for FREE! Students get to create their own Carrot Stick avatar to help them practice. Then they practice addition facts against an online opponent of their choosing. Carrot Sticks has students testing their math fact skills against other students from around the world in a completely safe environment (no personal information is shared and students can’t chat). Students earn math achievement certificates for reaching various goals.
    (tags: blogs)
  • Here are examples of different ways they are used on class blogs to help you with the task:
    (tags: blogs)
  • am attending a 3 day workshop about Curriculum Mapping by Curriculum Designers (Resources) in Boca Raton, Florida.

Presenters are:

* Heidi Hayes Jacobs
    * Ann Johnson
    * Earl Nicholas
    * Jeanne Tribuzzi.

Over the next few days, I am hoping to learn more about curriculum mapping and how to take it back to my school. I am need help in facilitating and coaching my teachers as we are creating operational and projected curriculum maps.

(tags: blogs)
  • It is time to dust off the old spiral bound curriculum guide and take a good look at it. Can a document like this still serve the needs of our school today?
    (tags: blogs)
  • Google has just announced a huge addition to Google Docs, more free storage for all of your files. Google Docs now allows you to upload almost all file types including video, images, and document to your account. Each file can be up to 250 MB and your total amount of free storage is 1 GB. If you need more space you can buy it for $o.25 per GB per year. Compared to buying even the cheapest 1 GB flash drives, $0.25/GB is very very cheap and comes with the added bonus of not worrying about losing the storage device.
    (tags: blogs)
  • Thank you so much for the help and support you gave me about my blog theft. I started to name everyone who has commented on this blog, plurk, twitter, and facebook but there were so many, it took up half the page so I decided against it. So many of you have given me great suggestions and even went so far as to help investigate the perpetrators.
    (tags: blogging blog)
  • Recently I found out that another blog called Mutual Education Resources is stealing my blog posts. I don’t even want to write the name of the blog here to give them advertisement but I will in case someone knows how I can get them to stop.
    (tags: blogging)
  • Today, it’s two years since I first began writing this blog. Quite honestly, writing has changed everything about how I conduct my life. To some extent I’m driven; when you start something and then discover you have an audience, you feel the need to feed it. In the early days I posted every day. Six months in I realised this wasn’t necessary and I started posting less frequently. One of the things that has kept me posting regularly is ‘School’s out Friday‘. If I do nothing else, I always do my best to get a post up on a Friday – I like having a constant, something that readers know will be there that adds levity to the usually serious nature of the postings here. I wonder, if not for School’s out Friday, would I be contributing as frequently as I do?
    (tags: blogging blogs)
  • The Zinn Education Project promotes and supports the use of Howard Zinn’s best-selling book A People’s History of the United States and other materials for teaching a people’s history in middle and high school classrooms across the country. The Zinn Education Project is coordinated by two non-profit organizations, Rethinking Schools and Teaching for Change.