links for 2010-01-15

• In the article, Ways to Catch Kids Being Good, the author states, “The most effective behavior management technique is the easiest to implement…"catching 'em being good". Research shows us that the quickest and most effective way to promote the display of appropriate behaviors is to reward them…”
    (tags: blogs)
  • As a newcomer to the curriculum beat, I'm excited to learn that educational resources have changed in one really big way since I was in school: Access to primary sources is now easy. I was introduced to some of the 15.3 million items that have been put online by the Library of Congress at an education forum hosted this month by that institution. It's common now for teachers to draw on the library's collection of photos taken during the Great Depression when teaching about the 1930s in the United States, but I learned that the library has much more than that.
  • Whether you are just finishing up your education degree or are already firmly entrenched in your first year of teaching, you will find these blog posts a helpful part of surviving your first year in the classroom. Most of these posts are written by teachers themselves and touch on just about every topic you can imagine, including working with students, improving your teaching skills, resources to use in the classroom, going green in school, education reform, and the future of education. Take advantage of this wealth of information to guide you through not only the first year of teaching, but many more years to come.
    (tags: blogs teaching)
  • Here are some interesting sites that I’ve found this week, thanks to my Personal Learning Network (PLN). As a teacher, I feel we have to keep up to date concerning research in our field and current issues in the education system. I hope some of these inspire you, inform you, and even have you asking questions. Thank you for coming by and visiting!
    (tags: blogs)
  • This is the 100th School’s out Friday post! I couldn’t resist using this video that Alec Couras tweeted about today. It’s a send up of Farmville, a game that people play where they run their own farm. I’ve seen peoples’ Facebook updates where they mention how they’ve planted new crops and purchased livestock and I’ve wondered what this Farmville thing is. My daughter mentioned that she knows friends who are obsessed with it and my husband was telling me that people at his work devote hours to it too.
    (tags: blogs)
  • I was riding in a car with a friend the other day. She uses her TomTom GPS to tell her where to drive and I kept getting startled by the voice (I have never used one before). I thought it might be funny to have the kids pull a prank on Mr. Teach by installing the voice of Urth into Mr. Teach’s GPS unit and the best person to turn to for help? Why, Jenni Peg and her mighty brain, of course.
    (tags: blogs)
  • If you haven’t heard Gary Stager speak about computing in school, you are truly missing out. He is cutting to the ideas he feels are pedestrian, but in such a way that you end up feeling that way too. For example, the other day I discussed the idea of the term 21st Century skills. Stager characterized them this way:

This talk of 21st Century Skills is redundant; These are the things that rich people have wanted for their children since the 18th Century.

(tags: blogs)
  • Good teaching sticks to your ribs and is full of nutrients. Like oatmeal. The thing is, not all oatmeal is the same; nor are all lessons, as well all know. Instant oatmeal, while better than a big sweet roll, has had all the nutrients processed out of it and is swimming in all that delicious brown sugar and maple we all enjoyed so much as kids. The thing is: it's the nutritional equivalent of a worksheet. Your system begins passing it through, picking up no nutrients at all, the moment you finish.
  • Okay, so I don't actually believe today's "school rule" is always true, but it offers an important reminder that more money does not necessarily equal more learning. Yes, we need more money in schools but some of the best instruction still costs little and doesn't need powerful computers or other heavy machinery to make a difference. Pens and paper, markers and boards, even chalk and slate–these worked pretty darn well for the first couple hundred years.
    (tags: blogs)

One thought on “links for 2010-01-15