Things I am Reading Online 01/31/2011

• “Designed for high school and college teachers and students,
    History Matters serves as a gateway to web resources and offers
    other useful materials for teaching U.S. history. “

tags: history socialstudies primarysources

• While the traditional rhetorical questions that every writer faces exist likewise with multimedia composers, students often feel better equipped to respond to issues of audience, topic, and purpose when they have more than just the written word at their disposal. 
  • tags: Educon2.3 digitaltextbook

• “Much has been discussed over the past few days while at Educon 2.3 here at the Science Leadership Academy in Philadelphia. One of the things that I love about such gathering of minds is captured in this quotation by Margaret J. Wheatley shared during the panel discussion at the Franklin Institute: Why Does Innovation Matter?”

tags: Educon2.3 paneldiscussion

• “To deliver true value in this environment demands we invert the norm, and one of the best developing models for this is called, I have learned recently, “reverse instruction.” I believe I first heard the concept described at length at the NAIS Annual Conference last winter, when, if I recall correctly, a co-author of Disrupting Class, the excellent innovative educator Michael B. Horn, spoke about it.”

tags: Educon2.3 paneldiscussion

• tags: Educon2.3 paneldiscussion

• tags: Educon2.3

• “He started with the lawyers. “Why do they all have the same biography?” he wondered. “We take it for granted that there’s this guy in New York who’s the corporate lawyer, right? I just was curious: Why is it all the same guy?” It takes a special kind of brain to be curious about New York City lawyers. Such a brain belongs to Malcolm Gladwell, 45, author of The Tipping Point and Blink, the founding documents of the now best-selling genre of pop economics, which together have sold more than 4.5 million copies.”

tags: Educon2.3 paneldiscussion

• “Kathleen Cushman, co-founder of WKCD, is a writer who has specialized in education and school reform for almost two decades. Her work has appeared in the Harvard Education Letter, Educational Leadership, Phi Delta Kappan, the Atlantic Monthly, the New Yorker, and many other national magazines. Cushman has been writer and editor of two school reform journals, Horace and Challenge Journal. She is the author or co-author of ten books, including First in the Family (Next Generation Press, 2005, 2006), Fires in the Bathroom: Advice for Teachers from High School Students (New Press, 2003), Schooling for the Real World with Adria Steinberg and Rob Riordan (Jossey-Bass, 2000) and The Real Boys Workbook, with William S. Pollack (Random House, 2001). She lives in New York City. Her newest title, written with the students of WKCD, is Fires in the Mind: What Kids Can Tell Us About Motivation and Mastery (Jossey-Bass, June 2010) “

tags: Educon2.3 paneldiscussion

• “”Can Schools Support Student Innovation?””

tags: Educon2.3

• “Micro-blogging is the social media buzzword that gets some serious mojo going for those of you passionate about social networking for the enterprise (myself included). There are a plethora of tools available, and if you want a quick snapshot, you should read this CIO article on “12 Microblogging Tools to Consider.” In response to my previous post, “Extensive List of over 30 Enterprise 2.0 Case Studies and Resources,” “

tags: microblogging blogging

Posted from Diigo. The rest of my favorite links are here.